Audiobooks are the audio version of a book. It is a recording of CD or cassette of a reading of a book, typically a novel. text. There is basically two type of audiobooks ABRIDGED & UNABRIDGED. Reading of complete book without changing a single word is called UNABRIDGED audiobook & reading a short version of a text is called ABRIDGED audiobook.
Did you know the idea of audiobook origin is possible because of invention “Thomas Edison” did in 1877 “The Phonograph” “Phonographic book” is an original application by Thomas Edison, It would speak to a blind person without any additional efforts from their side. INITIAL WORDS RECITED IN PHONOGRAPH WAS “MARY HAD A LITTLE LAMB”
In 1931 the American foundation of the blind started a programme of “Talking book”. Talking book provides reading material for Veterans, injured during world war 1 & to other blind adults. At first, audiobooks were sold in cylindrical vessels “limit of listening time was 4 min only “, then came flat disks “limit 12 mins” & they are hard to carry on the way. With the rise of internet & technology invention of audio formats, portable media players happened. Media players had revolutionized the audiobooks filed & popularity of audiobooks has increased significantly during the late 1990s & 2000s. “THE AUDIBLE PLAYER” by AUDIBLE.com in 1997 pioneered the world first mass-market. Cost of this player was $200 (13,000INR). At that time Audible.com use cassettes in their player later CD-ROM & now internet do the most of the work which brings us to the CURRENT STATE.
In India audiobook gained popularity back in 2010 way later as compared to rest of the world. Due to lack of previous organized efforts on the part of publishers & authors. THERE IS A SAYING “Better late than never” “DER AAYE DURAST AAYE”. Soon India has become as one of the fastest growing Audiobook markets in the World. In India still, a lot of people do not know about audiobooks and we have access to very fewer services when it came to audiobooks. Recently Google launched their audiobook service in India & audible launched in FEB 2017 in India.
Let us learn more about them:-
AMAZON’s AUDIBLE AUDIOBOOKS
Amazon’s audible is one of the finest audiobook application you can have on your device. The design is near perfect with various functions. Audible works on a subscription basis. Which means you can pay for a subscription once and then you can enjoy all reading you want on a certain amount of books.
Right now you can avail a free trial for 30 days after that $15 (975 INR) per month.
FOLLOWING ARE THE BENEFITS OF AUDIBLE:-
- Daily Deals
- Driving mode
- 2x mode
Steps to get an Audible audiobook
1. DOWNLOAD AUDIBLE APP-
2.SEARCH FOR THE BOOK
3.PLAY SAMPLE (TIP – it is always safe to try something before you buy)
4.PAY FOR SUBSCRIPTION.
AUDIOBOOKS BY GOOGLE
Google recently launched audiobook services on Android play store, IOS, & on the web. Google is offering movies, music, TV, & now ebooks & audiobooks. The company also offering massive discounts on audiobooks. The best thing about google play books you can access books on your google assistant,(& on google home). You can listen to your fav book on google home directly. I own a demo of Google play audiobooks & I can tell you they are doing great.
Following are the features of Google audiobook:-
- Multiplatform support
- sleep timer
- simple to move around the environment
- 2 x speed
- No subscription
Steps to get a Google audiobook
- DOWNLOAD GOOGLE PLAYBOOKS APP-
2.SEARCH FOR THE BOOK
BUY IT IF YOU LOVE IT.
Apple audiobook services are great & simple to use you can add any selected book you want and then you can access it on any apple product like on iPad, iPhone, Mac via iTunes. Right now Apple does not have audiobook services in India. But soon Apple will do it (probably by end of this year).
I am using audiobooks from last few months & these are the following reasons why you should use an audiobook. I still prefer reading books for learning but I have realized that audiobooks are awesome & great for that purpose.
- Convenient – Audiobooks are convenient because you can literally listen to them anytime, anywhere you want Example – you can listen to them in your CAR, SPEAKERS, PHONE. You can also have them on any device you want ( phone, tablet, laptop, iPod).
- Effective & efficient – Books like Biography, Motivational books, Pointer books, etc are better to consume over audio than text because you can learn more when you listen. You can also make better notes when you listen to a book than reading. Audiobooks also save your time. It will give freedom of multitasking (Example – You can listen to it when you are doing dishes, cleaning, moping or any work you are doing that does not require more focus.
- Customizable Speed – You can speed up the pace of speaker in audiobooks 1x, 2x it does not affect the content quality or its understanding.
- Features – If you download an audiobook application or use it on the web you will see a large number of features that help you get more satisfaction out of a book.
- HARRY POTTER SERIES
- CALL ME BY YOUR NAME
- STEVE JOB BIOGRAPHY
- THE HITCHHIKER’s GUIDE TO THE GALAXY
- A DELICATE TRUTH
- SHOE DOG
I recommend you to use a headphone with more flats like ear pods or you can turn down the bass from the equalizer.
SUBSCRIBE FOR MORE.